Friday 26 October 2012

Gray, gray slate


If we talk about industry and history, Wales is all about slate. So I went and visited some. Blue Lake is the very past, Llechwedd Slate Caverns is still open, at least for tourists to get the feel.

It is situated near the historic slate mining town of Blaenau Ffestiniog. (I'm still fascinated by Welsh names). It's not very stunning place to visit, but if you like history, the real one, that's the place to go. It grabs you and is hard to forget later when all these WOW! sights appear one after another.

Slate is gray. Everything is grey. All the shades of gray.

For me it was very personal trip down there because my father in 50's was working down in some Soviet coal mines in far North (not voluntary).

As I probably will never visit there, this gave me some idea, some illustrations for his tales from the dim past.


No comments:

Post a Comment