Friday 9 May 2014

And another whoop-whoop!


I had a two day marathon. On a quilt. And I won! 

On Wednesday’s night I got unexpected info about one young lady, going to celebrate her 6th birthday. Such a date deserves a quilt, isn’t it? The only problem – the celebration is on Saturday! Can I make it? 

On Thursday morning I started at 8 am and finished at 9 pm, with few coffee breaks and one meal in between. In first six hours I managed to complete the whole top, and the rest of the day was spent on quilting. This morning I started at 9 am and the last thread was cut at 3 pm. Voila! Now the quilt for the special young lady is rolling in the washing machine so these pictures were taken before washing. 

I think the young lady really will like her quilt because this was a very lucky project, going incredibly smooth. 

I used different leftovers, some had been already cut, some just a little offcuts, too small to consider for bigger projects. I had a risk to run short with borders, but – incredible luck – after the last piece was added, I had exactly one inch of fabric left. I had even luck with the fabric for the back. Just on Tuesday I wondered past my favourite fabric shop, and stumbled upon the feathery fabric on a serious discount – just 1.5 EUR/m, and I just thought – nice fabric, cheap, I might use it some day. (Usually I don’t do that- I go and pick only the fabric I need for the new project so my stash is always nearly empty). Even my usual nightmare - quilting - went incredibly well.


I never had a project going so well, without even a single hiccup. 

Okay, the quilt is not big – only approx 60 X 80”, like a lap quilt, but a quilt in less than two days? Plus I really love the colour/pattern combination. I wish it would be sunny outside (instead of a heavy rain right now) but maybe tomorrow morning I'll be able to take it out for a true colour picture.  

Now I must return to my most urgent serious projects which must be completed until the end of the month. 

PS. For some creative fun, I'm linking to this blog. Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. That's a beauty, Ann. No matter how long it took to make, it's still wonderful. I'm sure she will love it.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is beautiful and an awesome accomplishment for two days. I think there will be one happy little girl soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! that's wonderful x looks big enough for a 6 year old girl to me xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just gorgeous! And it was clearly meant to be! She will love it forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a joyful finish! Congratulations on winning the marathon!!!
    By the way, it seems that you are a no reply blogger. Your email address doesn't show in your profile, so comments you make on other blogs can't be answered directly. If you are interested, there is a way to make your email visible by going into your blogger settings and changing them. I don't have details (I'm still a new blogger), but muddled through it myself a couple of months ago, so know it can be done!
    Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. carolegoldquilts, thank you for pointing that out. I think I have changed it now, but I'm not sure. I'm not very advanced user either :D

      Delete