Well, and the best part... After all the fun at zoo I still had enough energy to make a quick apple pie.
Open apple pie with cinnamon cream
For the dough
· 350g/12oz plain flour,
· 200g/7oz cold butter,
· 1 egg,
· 1/2 tbsp baking powder
· 3 large apples, preferably sour, cored and sliced
For the cinnamon cream
· 200ml/7fl oz double cream,
· 4 sp sugar
· 1 tbsp vanilla sugar
· 6 eggs
For sprinkling the top
· ½ tsp ground cinnamon
· 2 tsp icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
2. For the pie, place the flour into a large bowl and mix with baking powder. Then add the butter, and slice it with the knife until resembles breadcrumbs. Add one egg and continue until all sticks together, then knead gently like a dough.
3. Put the baking paper in the baking sheet/tray and evenly spread out the mixture, preferably with the thickness of a pound coin.
4. On top put the slices of apples, preferably in neat rows.
5. You can use the same bowl now – pour in the eggs, double cream and sugar, add vanilla sugar. Whisk it all together. If you like, graind outside of a lemon and add to the mixture. Pour the ready mixture over the applea so it spreads out evenly. .
6. Bake for 30-40 minutes in the oven, or until the top looks golden-brown.
7. Take out, sprinkle with sugar, mixed with cinnamon, and put back in still hot oven to slowly cool off.
Even better. After all that I sat down and managed to make 24 flowers for the pheasant quilt but these I might show tomorrow only. It had been a really productive day for me.